Sunday, July 26, 2009

My Basement Friends

Gustoph, Frakie, Brucie - Sheva Apelbaum

Since I was little, I’ve always imagined that monsters live in our basement. I probably thought that because when we first moved into our house, the basement was still unfinished. It was dark and spooky and to top that off, the boiler would periodically go on and make gurgling sounds.

A few years ago (when I was still scared of going down to the basement) my dad told me that if I hold my breath as I go down the stairs the monsters won’t be able to get me (apparently this is a well-known rule). Sure enough, the monsters never got me! Right when I was learning to hold my breath for about 30 seconds, my dad started referring to the monsters as my “basement friends.” He would send me on errands to the basement to pick up a book or a movie and he would tell me that while I was down there I should say “Hi” to my basement friends.

Over the course of a few months, I really did think of the monsters as my friends. I’ve even become kind of fond of them. Here are some of my sketches of them.

5 comments:

  1. I know just what you mean! When I was little, I used to think that monsters used to hide in the basement too. I used to finish as quickly as I could down there and then dash up the stairs at lightning speed so they wouldn't catch me! If I had a visual picture of them like in your "basement friends" drawing, I wouldn't have been so afraid. Your drawings are so adorable! Makes me want to go down to the basement just to meet them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you be willing to teach Lauren about her "upstairs" friends? She is frightened to go to the second floor unless someone is with her. She thinks someone or something is going to "get her".
    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe Lauren and I could switch places. I would rather have "upstairs friends" then "downstairs friends." :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren Porcelli said: Yeah. Mom said I'm afraid of the upstairs. But I spent 10 minutes upstairs alone writing on my white board. Your blog is really cool and I didn' know you were afraid of the basement..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a monster in the studio--he hides in the bathroom, which I don't use because I might disturb him. He makes gurgling sounds. As long as he stays there, that's okay by me. :-)

    Great blog, by the way!

    ReplyDelete